Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My soldiers

Every week I go to what we in the know call a DEMOB ("deemobe"). Don't you just know I called it Demob the first time I saw it. It's short for demobilization, meaning you (the soldier) are just home and having to sit though hours of information about where to go for your physical, your insurance, etc. If it was me I'd be hearing Charlie Brown adult voices after a) 15 months of battle, b) a really long plane ride that could have involved multiple layovers and hurry-up-and-waits and sitting around on a duffle bag still wearing the clothes I've worn since last month. I am telling you, these guys are GOOD.

Anyway, I went to the DEMOB, and as always, I asked "Where are y'all from?" Turned out, they were (all 200+)my National Guard Unit from South Carolina. I usually start my little speech with "I'll be brief", which sets off the "hooah" I have come to know and love. Not on this day, because I had to yell out to my peeps. Welcome home, I remember yelling. I got a hooah. Once again, hair stood up on my arms as I looked out at them.

I did my briefing, and then the soldiers had a break. We were all walking out together and a soldier asked me "What part of Charleston are you from?' I said, "Mount Pleasant." He said (help me Jesus) "I'm a Mount Pleasant Police officer!" I said "Excellent! When are you getting back home?" I was thinking oh hot dog! A friend on the force! Anyway, after talk about the real estate market we were about to part ways. He said " See you in Mount Pleasant!" I said" Uh yeah, but I promise I will not be breaking the law." He laughed.

I actually ran into him again today in the Soldier Support Center. There are thousands of people here and he held the door for me. I said"When do you go back to Mt P?" He said "Tomorrow. Maybe we'll see each other again under better circumstances'" I said" If you see me under better circumstances I will not be going too fast in my red Volvo." More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so could not do that. I'd be up there sobbing every day.
It's good that you got to welcome home your neighbors. I bet it was great for them, too.

Sue said...

You so COULD do it. Sobbing is acceptable, everybody's doing it. I take the Costco tissues. Thanks sallyjo!

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Hooah! And, I just read an interview in the latest Sun mag, of someone who has been doing work since Viet Nam with PTS etc, soldiers and thought about you, my lovely and loving friend, in the valuable service you also do. Take care Sue..