Sunday, April 27, 2008

Notes to Self

Working on an Extemely Large Military Installation takes some acclimation. Here are my observations:

1. Get used to being called Ma'am all the time. I used to ask people not to call me that for 2 reasons: it makes me feel old, and in the South "ma'am" can have some classist implications. Oh well. "Ma'am" it is, all day every day.

2. Don't get freaked out when, while driving down the street, big Star Wars-like vehicles bedecked in camoflage barrel toward me.

3. Get comfy with the fact that people on the post often carry very large weaponry. It's OK. That large rifle lying across that soldier's lap (aimed directly at my leg) is not loaded during dinner.

4. Everybody looks good in a beret. I think I'll knit me one in a nice summer cotton so that I might fit in and look good too.

5. Watching soldiers march into a hangar after 15 months and a twenty hour plane ride makes me cry every single time. Arm with tissues and wear no mascara to the Welcome Homes.

6. Ditto for the Good Bye Ceremony. REALLY difficult and so sad.

7. Never forget how lucky I am to be able to help.

I'm sure there's more. I'm just really busy all the time.

2 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I can remember the dread of the goodbyes.

I'm glad that they have you there for them and their families, though. No one could do a better job for them than you. I really mean it.

Sue said...

You rock, my dear1