Monday, April 07, 2008

What is that, Thelma, the ARMY?"

Yes it is. I went to my first Green Ramp today and became popular with all the grandparents because I took Kleenex. Those Kleenex people should go to "Welcome Home, Soldier" ceremony to advertise their product, I kid you not. An Hispanic woman stood next to me at one point, barely five feet tall, long braid down her back, hands worn from work. She had tears streaming down her face. I gave her a kleenex. We didn't need any spoken words at all.

One man took a picture of me handing a Kleenex to his crying friend. Another man took a tissue and said "I'm a weenie." I said "You are NOT! Real men are not afraid to cry, especially at a time like this." I gave him two.

First the soldiers came off the plane and lined up on the tarmac. I got chicken skin.Lots of waving, hollers and tears. Then they marched into the hangar, where the band began to play the National Anthem. I'm telling you, it was a sight. They faced us, all handsome, tan, weary, but thrilled. The Chaplain said a prayer, the Colonel said "Hooah!!! Welcome home, now greet your soldier!" and away they went. I have never seen that much making out since I was in a college dorm. Whew. I took pictures for happy couples and greeted those whose families couldn't make it. One soldier shook my hand and it hurt. That boy was glad to be here. They all were. I asked one "What are you going to do now?" He said"Mow the lawn." Great idea. Welcome home.

4 comments:

Amie said...

*hug*

Wish they could ALL come home - coming home to you is just for the special ones.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I'm beside myself with joy that you are there and doing that job for the soldiers. For someone like you be there tells all of us that this will be a very different homecoming than 40 years or so ago. Hugs for you Sue. And always, good thoughts and lots of prayers, too.

blog lines was not updating. Darn their hides. Sorry to have missed the last few posts.

Anonymous said...

Brought tears to my eyes just reading. Glad you were there to help them out.
Hugs and prayers to you and the troups.

Sue said...

Thanks everybody. Believe me, I had tears in my eyes too!

My boss said that, no matter how many times one attends a green Ramp, the reaction is always the same.