Friday, May 26, 2006

More notes from the trip down, Boudin Ball, and Mulate's again

Highway 90, the coast road, was closed in Pass Christain. I got really lost trying to find I-10, but I didn't mind. I like getting lost. It's how you find out stuff. Most of the ruined house debris was removed, but some rubble still remained. People who are trying to recover from a disaster need organization in their lives. Having to look at this stuff is demoralizing and retraumatizing. It make me sick that we have built an entire city in Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Coast is still a wreck.

Okay, anyway, I found I-10 and drove to the Pearlington exit. I found out about Pearlington from my friend Sorka(Can that girl knit or what!). I wanted to see it for myself. It's a campsite.

People seem to be making do-I didn't see anyone to stop and talk to, so I kept going. It looks like they still need help to me. I'll try to find out more on my way back through. As I turned of the Pearlington road, I found the storm surge remains. Trees, and shrimp boats were stacked up on the side of this road. Here was my beautification spot. I knew I'd know it when I saw it. As I left there I finally picked up the Ragin Cajun Radio Station . My favorite show "Talk of the Bayou" was on. Those guys are so great. They discuss current local events. It helped me when I was in Thibodaux to hear the show-I heard what was on the minds of the citizens. They take calls and answer the phone "Bon Jour". They get really mad at injustice-my kind of fellas! When I heard them I knew I was back. I left the byways and proceeded to Lafayette.

I have been somewhat busy at work. I was to present a training for the Staff at the Agency this morning on Denial. Surprise-everyone (almost) had taken the day off to have a 4 day weekend. Too bad. I was going to use Kenneth "I am Innocent" Lay as the #1 Prime Example of Denial. I'll do it next week. He'll still be guilty.

I'll be doing assessments next week and going to court. Child Protective Service cases are always so complicated and the workers are so dedicated. They have to be-everybody hates them. They are always having to defend themselves to parents/children/judges/quality assurance/head honchos/the public. All this for $20,000 per year. Nice, hard working people. I am here to support them. That, it seems, is my mission this time around.

I have discovered Boudin Balls. I had dinner at Prejean's on Wednesday night and had Boudin Balls, Duck Gumbo that was dark, smoky and delish and a salad. I am going to search for more Boudin Balls when I leave this here public library.

I went to Mulate's again last night and met some fine forty somethings born and raised in Breaux Bridge. They all grew up together and married each other's cousins/brothers/sisters, etc. They were great and very hospitable. Thanks yall.

4 comments:

Sorka said...

Thanks.. there are tears in my eyes.. I so wish I could actually GO there and do something.. Right now that's just not possible.. It's nice to hear from someone with boots on the ground.. keep me posted!
Denise
knitchat.com
purlsofhope.com

Unknown said...

The Boudin Balls link doesn't work ..but thanks for the update..I am dying to see what they are now :p

DivaJood said...

Sue, it is the insanity of this government that building Iraq to our "democratic" specifications is more important than helping the poor who've been displaced by Katrina. I mean, they don't have enough OIL in the gulf coast, do they? They do have oil, but not enough for our Prez.

Keep posting, keep the faith. I salute you, girl!

Sue said...

I do NOT know why none of those links worked. I'll figure it out at some point.Try this:
http://www.pochesmarket.com/poche_prod/boudin_balls.htm. That's where I'm getting my stash to take home!