Thursday, May 25, 2006

Some notes about the trip down

Mobile AL is a neat place. In the Old Spanish Fort part ( I am sure there is a real old Spanish Fort-I just didn't get a chance to look for it) there are restaurants on stilts overlooking the Gulf. Of course I had to stop at Ed's Seafood Shed. They sell fun gifts.

I was seated at a big table in the shade right on the water. That is a big deal because quite often not-young women get ignored and stuck in corners. These young people treated me like a queen and I thank them for that. I got a dinner that had fried grouper breaded with cornmeal, oysters breaded with cornmeal (you can request regular or firm. Firm is for those who have not acquired a taste for raw oysters by themselves). I of course chose reular. Apparently oysters are available year round here-yay. The plate also had big fried shrimp. I skipped the fries (I always do-why waste calories and room on soggy fries?) and went for the hush puppies.

Now, I know there are people that get all single minded about their cornbread. I am from the South and grew up eating a certain type of cornbread (not committing myself). As I have matured I have decided to keep open-minded and enjoy the good in every hush puppy I eat. These were cakey and sweet with sugar. There were hints of onion and jalapeno, but nothing to overpower the overall effect. The grouper crust was as crisp as a potato chip from a just-opened bag, and tender in the middle-not at all dried out. Fabulous I say. I recommend this spot to anybody-apparently the locals like it too.

I left Mobile on Monday morning early (yay for time change) and stopped at the Mississippi Sandhill Crane Sanctuary and got out the binocs. I didn't see any. They are nesting right now. I'll look again on the way back.

I cut off I-10 at Gulfport. I was almost to the shore when I began to see the real damage. Shops in the town are still closed. The oncewhat -must -have-been vibrant beachfront was deserted. Live oaks were still there by the grace of God. The only rebuilding going on in earnest were the historic homes.

When I pulled over to take a picture of that shut-down Walmart, I just sat there for a while. It's right across the road from the beach, which should have had bathers on such a beautiful day. There were only a couple of brave souls. It was so quiet I could here the breeze. I'll post the pictures as soon as I get them. Later gaters (no gater mocking!)

3 comments:

Sorka said...

All's quiet on the southern front eh? Don't go mocking those gaters!! eek!
Denise
knitchat.com
purlsofhope.com

Unknown said...

A wally world still shut down? Thats bad..

Take care, I love your travelogue so far :)

Sue said...

Thanks dusty and sorka. No gater mockin from me-I am not Dumb!