Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Crepes for breakfast, and Notes to Missy.

Crepes for Breakfast
With peanut butter. No kidding. Heaven.

I found my way to the office that is my headquarters. I got a bunch of paperwork done, read the orietation material and asked questions. Then I hit the trail. I have a list of schools that the teams before me went to and performed assessments and referred as necessary. I got the map and found them all (shew). It took a while, but, since I am a Team of One, I have no co-pilot. I needed to get my bearings. I went to Bayou L'ourse, which of course means "bear" but I did not know that. Probably a good thing. I went to Labadieville, Bell Rose, and Napoleonville. This place is beautiful.

I came back to my home away from home and read more of the information I was given. One paper, written by an doctor from Tulane right after the hurricane, about cultural sensitivity and disaster recovery, is concise and most helpful. I mean, I know how to crisis debrief, actively listen, and validate people in many different situations. But the magnitude of Hurricane Katrina is still obvious no matter what newspapares report. Now we're six months aout and people are still reeling. They're just reeling in a different way and it looks different. And many think they are ok. So I'm happy to get all the help I can.

I found a radio station called "The Ragin Cajun". It is my current favorite. For those of you who are so inclined it's KLRZ and they have streaming.

Notes to Missy

Those who know me pesonally know how much I enjoy weekly sushi with Missy. Since I'm missing our weekly session, I thought I'd visit the local sushi place here in Thibodaux to find myself a little zen and saki. Well, there was no saki, the Korean guy at the door said "How y'all?" and the sushi was great. Along with the sushi there was, not in this order: mac and cheese, Hong Kong Beef, Frog Legs, Petit Fours, Baked Salmon, Chinese Donuts, Chicken and Broccoli, and salad. There was crawfish too but I decided to hold out for tomorrow night's choice the "Hank Williams Special" at another local place that is a combo of jambalaya, crawfish pie, and gumbo. There were no chopsticks and Missy no green Soy Sauce! There WAS wasabi and my sinuses needed it after yesterday's air travel. *sigh* Time to knit my shawl that is the colors of the swamp-alpaca laceweight greens, browns and a shot of turquoise. I love it. So far so good. Stay tuned....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want the food.
And I like that you're knitting something swamp colored. I have a place in my heart for things that remind me of the Mississippi (way up north, in Minnesota - and not that "sky-blue-water color).
sallyjo