Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mardi Gras, The Young People, that Hank Williams Special, and my Precious Nephew

Mardi Gras
The Mardi Gras Parade here in Thibodaux on Sunday was great. I caught lots of beads and people were giving them to me because I am from Off. We had a grill going, as did many people along the parade route, and eats were fabulous. Thank you my new friends!

The Young People
Yesterday I woke up with a stopped up ear. Please do not worry, Mama, I am fine. I have medicine and it's almost gone this morning. However, I felt a little weenie when I went early to the High School to meet with more young people. I met with several students, including my girl I told you about in an earlier post. We agreed to write each other after I leave. I am working to get her a therapist that can help her feel better. All of the students have told me that the big noise at 4 in the morning during the storm ( the sound of the power going out) was what made them know how serious their troubles were. Several are angry with their parents and feel guilty because they are. They all have survivor's guilt. Every single one said he or she doesn't want to complain because other people died. If I have done nothing else I have told each of them that their pain is real even if it isn't as bad as someone else's. It was a long day. So I immediately went to the restaurant that offered

That Hank Williams Special
which consisted of Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, and File Gumbo. With a salad for $7.95. It was so good I almost burst into song. The restaurant is near my home-away-from-home and will be my spot from here on in. I HAVE to learn to make crawfish pie! My hostess has written a cookbook, so maybe she'll help me.

My Precious Nephew
I got an email from my Lovely Sister yesterday with a photo of my precious nephew who is serving all of us in Iraq. Here he is, the one on the left. One more month and he'll be preparing to come home. Hallelujah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WLYH Thanks for going to help in your loving way. Uncle M

Sue said...

Hey Uncle M!

Ladies and gentleman, it's my Uncle Merritt! WLYH back atcha. Thanks for reading my blog!
Sue Woo

Anonymous said...

What an outstanding looking young marine. He must have a truly lovely mother. Thanks for putting him on your blog.
Libba