Friday, February 24, 2006

Winding Down

It's my next to the last day here and I am coming away having made new friends, learned much, and with the desire to do more.

It's part of the work I have chosen to think more needs to be done, but in this case it's a fact Communities in this area have been financially strapped for a long time. Now the evacuees must be absorbed into the school system. I was told that there was a referendum to raise taxes by something like one cent to go specifically to the schools but it was voted down. People are always scared of the word "tax" even though they know their communities need the money. Somebody (wonder who) has made "tax" a four letter word. Such is the story here.

School children watched bodies of people they knew float by. One child I talked to went out onto the porch during the Hurricane and was picked up off her feet. Remember, she was not watching the devastation on TV like we were. She had no power and knew nothing. She's only 12.

I have discovered the fabulous crawfish. Long may it reign. I recommend a restaurant called the Half Shell if you're in the area. They treated me like one of their own, were always happy to see me, and hugged me every time I left. The softshell covered in crawfish sauce was most delectible.Hey, Miss Tina, y'all rock.

The weather here has been foggy and cloudy most of the time. The Bayou LaFourche is beautiful and big and important.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

If the time flew for me, reading about it, I can't imagine how fast it went by for you, busy every day living it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you have to leave. It doesn't seem like enough, somehow.
Thanks again, though.
sallyjo

Sue said...

I know, it's been fast and furious. In Social WOrk I am accustomed to saying to myself "Well I'm only one person. I can't do it all." But the need here is so great, and I KNOW I can do the work-that's what makes me wish I could stay longer. *sigh*