Saturday, February 18, 2006

The National Estuary Project, The Young People,Mardi Gras, and the Breakfast Update

National Estuary Project

I tried to place some beautiful maps on this post to give you all a visual of exactly where where I went when I played hooky on Thursday, but I can't get this old computer in my cute room to cooperate. The lovely people from the Barataria Terrebone National Estuary Project needed help at Port Fouchon. That is where offshore oil drilling takes place. Back in the fifties, Large Drilling People (see how nice I am today? See?) dredged new channels to the detriment of barrier islands there called chenieres. ( My New Dream is to run away to a Cheniere. It just sounds really good.) My new best friend Kerry St Pe (accent Ague) is the boss of BTNEP has spent his life trying to save these precious wetlands and apparently having some luck. A particular cheniere had been removed by the Biggus Ones and he convinced them to replace it with the slurry from dredging. "Slurry" sounds to me like a nice frozen drink but it is not. It is sand, grit, etc. We went to the spot on Thursday and planted black mangrove, wetland grass and matrimony vine, which has nice thorns to protect baby pelicans from predators. We like that. Anyway we all worked very hard and had fun too. They gave us yummy gumbo and potato salad at the end of the day. I saw a white pelican. It was a pivotal day for me. I gave each black mangrove a kiss before planting.

The Young People

I met with little kindergarten people yesterday, all of whom were adorable. The work was not as difficult as the day I described before, but it was still profound. These stories need attention and I will take on that responsibility. I have copious notes. The children I met with are permanent residents here now from New Orleans and were good at telling me what has changed. The school is very rural and will hold a little Mardi Gras Parade on Friday. Yes Virginia, I was invited to participate! I will be in a Parade throwing beads!!

Mardi Gras

I had to go to the Thibodaux Walmart Wednesday night to buy mud boots for the journey on Thursday. I came around a corner and was dazzled-Walmart has Mardi Gras beads! An entire aisle of them! I was swept away and of course bought many. I also bought a pointy hat that says "Mardi Gras Princess" on the front. I am invited to a party tomoroow with my BTNEP friends and shall wear it with pride. The party is on the parade route so I will likely catch beads there too. It's all glittery and exciting!

The Breakfast Rundown

I have been remiss in keeping y'all up on the breakfast menu. On Wednesday we had scrambled eggs and ham, biscuits, satsumas, and all kinds of jelly. On Thursday I had cereal because we left for the trip at 5:30 am. On Friday we had baby sweet potatoes, grits, crepes, and biscuits. This morning we had poached eggs with cheese and scallions, crepes, biscuits, and satsumas again. Satsumas are like tangerines but really sweet. Frank gets them from his friend's tree.

Oh and by the way, the AA meeting was great. After it was over a do-rag man came up to me and said"Charleston, SC? Dat up da bayou ain't it?" I said Well oui it certainly is.

Thanks for your support everybody. It means a lot to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are getting to a Mardi Gras party. What an adventure. Can't wait to hear more about the kindergarten people. You know, five year olds are my favorite creatures.
Love, Libba

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sue,

You're doing great work! I wish we had a government filled with people like you. People who care. People who understand. Dang! I think we used to -
but that just be me dreaming.

bestest,

ed

Anonymous said...

HEY! I think I dated that guy in that pic....I'm just sure of it!!! Being a #48 fan, it just wasn't going to work. Oh well. Bring me back some beads. Later gator.

Anonymous said...

You're making me want to go south, and you wouldn't believe how close to impossible that is.
sallyjo

Sue said...

Thank you lovely sisters. You talk amongst yourselves to decide about who wins the lovely prize.

Thank you ed. I am honored to have you read my blog!

sallyjo, come on down. Crawfish is awesome.