Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Oh Goody

The Call
Last fall I sent a request to serve as a mental health disaster response team member. One of my colleagues, Lucille, went to New Orleans soon after Hurricane Katrina had beat them all up so bad. She had many tales to tell and I kept hoping the agency would need me. I got an email from them last night. I am going to Thibodaux, Louisiana and I am thrilled. Even though I will be volunteering for 12 hours a day, 14 days in a row, I am thrilled. I have always wanted to travel to that area, ALWAYS, and now here I go.

I have now done a little research. It appears that I will be staying in the home of some real honest-to-God Cajun people and that fact by itself is awesome. They have a fish camp! I do NOT know what that is! But this is what it looks like. It seems to be hollerin' my name.

The Plan
All my plans are being made for me by a travel agency. I'll fly from Charleston to New Orleans and rent a car. Then I'll drive to Thibodaux, which is not far. Like all good Southern citizens I will stop in Atlanta. You know what they say- when we die we'll have to stop in Atlanta on the way to the Great Reward. I believe it, yes I do.

I am now going to Tarjay (appropriate, since I will be staying with people whose first language is Francais)to provision for the trip: Airborne, new socks (because I can't find mates to the ones I have, I've tried, I promise), tiny little cute bottles of stuff. Dog food so the neighbors can care for my loved ones in the appropriate and fabulous way they always do. It is such a relief to me not to have to board them while I go away. They can do what they always do: sleep and bark at other dogs who dare walk by.

The Agency has sent me the name of the person I report to on the ground. She has to license us in the State of Louisiana before we can do anything else. I have to take my Social Work License to show, so I'm ordering a new one from the Board just in case I lose it ( "What?" you say.)
I have been appointed Team Leader which is an honor. Lucille was one too and she gave me the rundown. Apparently her team was big:14, 15 people. After researching I found out my team is two. Yes one other poor person and me. I will Lead this other person. We'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck y'all. It's a big Life Experience.

6 comments:

Amie said...

LOL - How exciting! How fabulous!

LEAD ON!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, as always. I know you will do those poor souls alot of good. Can't wait to hear all about it.
Libba

Anonymous said...

Well, despite that I had to hear about your trip from RestlessAngel (did you forget to include me in your Send To list?) I send you many good wishes and look forward to hearing about your adventures. In a crisis I would certainly want to have YOU around!(Make note of that for future reference.)

Take care.

Love, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Well, despite that I had to hear about your trip from RestlessAngel (did you forget to include me in your Send To list?) I send you many good wishes and look forward to hearing about your adventures. In a crisis I would certainly want to have YOU around!(Make note of that for future reference.)

Take care.

Love, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Awesome!
Stay safe and let us hear from you soon.
Kay

Sue said...

Y'all! Bye!